Tennis teams roll past East CentralFebruary 25, 2004
LAWTON, Okla. (Feb. 25) - Coach James Helvey's Cameron tennis squads each collected their fifth victory of the season on Thursday. The Aggies and Lady Aggies, both ranked 32nd in the latest Division II collegiate tennis rankings, cruised to easy wins over conference rival East Central on a chilly day at the CU Tennis Complex.
The Cameron men won 8-1 over the Tigers to improve to 5-0 on the season, while the Lady Aggies posted a 7-2 victory to move to 5-2 overall. Cameron's men return to action this weekend with a trip to Dallas to face Dallas Baptist and Texas-Arlington. The Lady Aggies will be back on the court March 2 to meet Southern Nazarene at the Oklahoma City Tennis Center.
After defeating East Central by a slim 5-4 margin in fall competition, the Aggie men expected a tight match on Thursday. It looked like that's what they would get from the Tigers early on, as Cameron took a slight lead by winning two of the three doubles matches. But the Aggies steamrolled through singles play, winning all six matches. All of the Aggie victories came in straight sets, with the exception of the No. 4 spot, where Gustavo Blanco rallied from a set down to win a tie-breaker, 10-2.
Cameron's Lady Aggies were nearly as efficient against ECU. The Lady Aggies also won two of the three doubles matches before pulling away in singles competition. Taylor Ivie quickly made it 3-1 Cameron with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Angela Mackey in the No. 6 match and four more straight-set Lady Aggie wins followed. Cameron's only singles loss came at No. 2, where ECU's Summer Nelson-Epps outlasted Paulina Trujillo for a 6-2, 5-7 (10-7) win.
#32 Cameron 7, East Central 2
1. Carolina Vera-Vera, Cameron, def. Ana Carolina Fernandez, 6-4, 6-2
2. Summer Nelson-Epps, East Central, def. Paulina Trujillo, 6-2, 5-7 (10-7)
3. Sandra-Leigh King, Cameron, def. Nadia Flores, 6-4, 6-3
4. Madeley Ameerali, Cameron, def. Lisa Buitron, 6-1, 6-4
5. Marianne Reeves, Cameron, def. Amanda Rhynes, 6-0, 6-4
6. Taylor Ivie, Cameron, def. Angela Mackey, 6-0, 6-0
1. Ameerali/Ivie, Cameron, def. Fernandez/Flores, 8-5
2. Buitron/Nelson-Epps, East Central, def. Vera-Vera/Trujillo, 8-6
3. Reeves/Kris Biegert, Cameron, def. Rhynes/Taronish Irani, 8-5
#32 Cameron 8, East Central 1
1. Ivor Hitrec, Cameron, def. Caedyn Stinson, 6-3, 6-4
2. Alex Furlan, Cameron, def. Quynh Tran, 6-2, 7-5
3. Oscar Guerra, Cameron, def. Pablo Romera, 6-3, 6-1
4. Gustavo Blanco, Cameron, def. Shane Conroy, 3-6, 6-4 (10-2)
5. Marco Valdez, Cameron, def. Chad Waller, 6-1, 6-4
6. Jorge Zabrodiec, Cameron, def. Matt Folsom, 6-1, 6-1
1. Guerra/Hitrec, Cameron, def. Conroy/Tran, 8-6
2. Blanco/Furlan, Cameron, def. Stinson/Thad Chance, 8-4
3. Waller/Romera, East Central, def. Valdez/Josh Cobble, 9-8 (7-5)